Life's adventures with Matt, Amanda and the girls... Makenzie and Madison!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Toddler's Diarrhea

Toddler's Diarrhea (Syndrome) is something I never heard about until about 3-4 months ago.  This past March Makenzie started having almost constant diarrhea.  We had thought that it was just a stomach bug at first, but then became worried it was something more.  A Dr's appt was made and from there we were sent for bloodwork and stool samples to try and figure out exactly what was going on.

The good thing about this is that she didn't seem to bothered by it (she was bothered by the extremely horrible diaper rash that you can't treat because she was constantly going!), but this mama was!  I use reusable diapers and when you get nasty diapers it gets really messy really fast.  Not to mention that more times than not the diaper couldn't hold it all so when she did go it was ALMOST a throw her in the bath and start over kind of thing.

We got the test results back and everything came back negative.  So the Dr said to take her off milk for a week and see what happens.... nothing really changed.  So then the Dr said try 2-4 weeks.  Alrighty!  Now we took her sippy cups of milk away, but didn't take out the rest of dairy.  And we DID see a decrease in the amount of times she went, BUT it was still messy.

I threw milk back into the diet... MISTAKE!  Wow oh WOW!  We are now into June with this problem and I was so bothered by not knowing what the deal is here, and exhausted with this mess.  POOR MAKENZIE.  I didn't feel like the Dr was too helpful or really concerned due to the fact that Makenzie is growing on track and doesn't seem to be bothered by everything.

I took Makenzie off dairy completely.... lactose free milk, no cheese, no dairy.  After that I tell you, I feel for anyone that has a food allergy!!  When I'd make my menu's I had to pick out recipes that didn't use milk or cheese.  Pain.

Taking her off of dairy seemed to help.... she wasn't going as often, diapers weren't as horrid... but STILL not regular.

I couldn't figure it out... if she is lactose intolerant then why isn't it back to normal yet!?!?

September.  I called the Dr- yet again- refusing to make an appointment because I was tired of paying to have her not really heAR me!  Then the Dr mentioned Toddler's Diarrhea Syndrome, and told me to give her fatty foods (all the fatty foods I wanted to give her!  Right... then how do you take it away!?!?)  There is NOT a lot of information about it but here's what I know:

Cause: unknown (one Dr says it's from a bad diet--which Makenzie didn't have)
Treatment: no remedy, but some Dr's say you can tweak their diet to help improve things
Length: can start at 6 months and last until 5 years (until children are out of their "toddler" stage)
Diet: increase fat, zip juice, decrease fruit

So Matt and I sat down with what little info that we had and made a new "diet" for Makenzie!
Before: Soy milk, no dairy, OJ in the am (diluted), 2 Servs of Fruit
Now: Vitamin D Lactose Free Milk, OJ in the am (diluted), 1 Serving of Fruit, Yogurt, Cheese (if mixed in with a casserole)

We have been on this diet for a week and a half and I am jumping for joy!!!  We went from her going a few times a day to going once every 2 days.  (And they are pretty close to being normal.)  Changing her diapers has been SOOOOO much better!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we've got it figured out!

No comments:

Post a Comment