Life's adventures with Matt, Amanda and the girls... Makenzie and Madison!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Oh Deer!


Our last house we were out in the country.... we would see deer, turkeys, ducks, geese, coyotes, racoons, opossums, skunks, squirrels on a very regular basis.  

This house... we will see ducks and geese flying over top of us.  But that's it... until a few nights ago when we saw this Deer walking by our garden!

The great husband that Matt is was in the kitchen happily scooping up an ice cream and brownie sundae for us when he started yelling at me telling me there was a Beaver in our backyard!  Hmm.... I was interested... I think beavers are pretty cool but we don't have any rivers or much water near us to have a beaver come traipsing thru our yard.  So I stayed put on the couch with my book and my feet up.  He comes hopping into the family room and eyes bulging out of his face he tells me there is a DEER in our backyard!  Oh!!  A Deer!!  Wow!  Yeah right.  After watching him for a few seconds I thought I could see he was almost starting to sweat with excitement.  Okay... Help me up I said!  

And by golly... there was a deer!  We sit on a city lot and then have some land behind that where our garden and shed is and that deer was on our "lot", so close to our houses!  Matt ran and got Makenzie out of bed (yup we are those kind of parents!) so she could see the deer too.  By that time the deer had spied our garden and was heading out to take a closer look.  Uh oh.

Once Makenzie saw the deer was in "her" garden near the plants that "she" grew-ek!  She wanted to go back to bed right away.  She didn't want the deer in her garden and she didn't want to be watching the deer.  

Matt goes and puts her back down while I continue to watch the deer reach it's neck into our garden and munch on some of our beans.  Then he heads outside to turn the sprinkler on in the garden so the deer runs off.  (Definitely wasn't as fun as the next night the deer came when Matt snuck outside, popped out from behind a tree the deer was standing near and started running 100 mph after the deer.  I laughed so hard!  I've never seen him run so fast!!!  (Matt, not the deer!)  He really got close to the deer!)

We headed back to the family room where my sundae was waiting for me and as I picked it up I could hear Makenzie screaming.  She was NOT happy.  Cripes.... Ice cream sundae.... screaming daughter.... ice cream sundae.... daughter.  I can eat fast!  So Ice Cream Sundae it was!  :-)  

Once my sundae was done I headed into Makenzie's room and the first thing she says is she's scared.  (Now that makes me feel like a million bucks as she was here crying "scared" while I polished off a sundae!)  I sat in there for 45 mins with her while we went over everything I knew about Deer.  She didn't comprehend why the deer was at her house, where it came from, what was it going to eat, is it nice, etc.  I couldn't believe all the questions that she was asking me!!  I was SOOOO impressed.  Once she learned everything that I know about deer she was then okay with the deer around and was able to go back to sleep.  W.O.W!  Their little brains!  

Now every morning when she wakes up she'll ask me if the Deer was at "my home" and then she'll ask if the deer was at Poppa's home (my gpa that lives close to us that has a deer problem).  Yesterday morning (after not going to bed until 10 pm!!!) she got up bright and early.  After asking about a deer at our house she went and got the phone so we could call Poppa and figure out if the deer was at his house!  

Funny how we were surrounded by animals out in the country that never touched our garden and here we are in the city with a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment