Life's adventures with Matt, Amanda and the girls... Makenzie and Madison!

Thursday, May 22, 2014

A First Time (Times Three!)

The First First.

Late Tuesday Makenzie woke up with a high fever.  That was about ten. She cat napped on and off until one am when she threw up.  This girl will be 3 1/2 in June and this was the FIRST time she has ever thrown up!!!  Matt and I have officially been inducted to the "We're up all night dealing with a sick kid, doing laundry and cleaning vomit up from all over the place while trying not to throw up ourselves!"  We had a good run going!  Thank you Makenzie for giving us 3 1/2 years!!  XOXO!!

This fever just rocked her.  Tylenol didn't do much.  She sat in the rocker ALL day yesterday totally zoned out.  Thanks to a GREAT neighbor, she brought over some Pedialyte that Makenzie sipped on and I made a few popsicles out of too. Yesterday afternoon she took a 3 1/2 hour nap!!!!!!!!!!

Both girls were sleeping for two hours and I was in pure bliss as they slept!  Two hours not entertaining or parenting!  Score!!

The Second First.

As the girls were sleeping I thought it would be a good idea to quickly make dinner for the night and for the next night (tonight) too.  One problem... my last nights dinner involved grilling.  Gas grill I can do, but we don't have one.  We have a charcoal grill that hates me.  Matt makes it look SO easy to light and everytime I do I have to relight it or add more charcoal... it just doesn't go well.  I end up having to call him about 100 times and my meat sits on the grill for about an hour.

Yesterday I decided I would do it, I would grill.  I started the process and wasn't sure if it was doing what it should be.  I sat and contemplated... do I call Matt?  do I let it go and see what happens?  or do I call Matt's Dad?  (It's slightly embarrassing that Matt has run me thru the process a zillion times, but nothing is retained.  Not only that I get the Ugh... why is she monkeying around with my grill again groan and the you never get it right, when are you going to give up grunt)  I didn't want to bother Matt's dad at work with a silly question so Matt it was.  

Low and behold... I was doing everything right!!  The meat got grilled with out any help for the FIRST time!!  My meat was a little over done (or a LOT), but the job was done!

During their nap time I did the grilling (which took an hour :-/ ), made two meals, and sat in the sun relaxing.

The Third First... a Recipe!

FIRST time we've had this meal!  Concocted a little recipe last night, and here it goes!

Grilled Chicken Queso Pasta

4 Chicken Breast
1/2 C Ranch Dressing (split)
3-4 diced Tomatoes
1-2 Tablespoons of fresh chopped Cilantro
1 1/2 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
16 oz Bowtie Pasta
Red pepper flakes or diced Jalapeno (Optional!)

Brush chicken with about 1/4 Cup of Ranch Dressing and have husband toss on grill.  (Don't ask me for grilling tips!)

Cook Pasta.

In a smaller sauce pan add 1/4 C ranch dressing, cilantro, cheese and tomatoes.  When that turns into a sauce (stir often so it doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan), dice the grilled chicken and add all to the cooked pasta.  

My stomach is growling as I am typing this!!  Grilling the chicken gave it such a good smokey flavor that spread into the rest of the dish.  Yummm yummmm!!!!  And if you want more sauce just increase the sauce ingredients.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment