Life's adventures with Matt, Amanda and the girls... Makenzie and Madison!

Friday, May 15, 2015

The Earthquake that Started it All

It was Saturday the 2nd...

Matt and Makenzie headed out for a quick errand to the hardware store.  Madison was quietly playing in the living room and I was in the kitchen making quesadillas for lunch.  It was peacefully quiet!  So nice, really.  It doesn't happen much and I was enjoying having a few quiet moments in the kitchen to myself without a child crying or begging for food and wedging themselves between my legs.

The quesadilla was on the stove top and I went to the counter to reply to an email.  As the email was pulling up I could hear the screens in our sunroom clanging, our grates to the grill rattling really obnoxiously and the house creaking.  I watched and listened for the gust of wind to stop and realized there was no wind.  What in the world I thought.... Semi going by?  I don't really hear one and I still hear the rattling.  I turned to the living room where I then noticed the decor on the wall shaking.  Holy cow, I can feel the floor underneath my feet shaking.... This has GOT to be an earthquake.  As I think that, Madison lets out a frantic cry and comes running towards me.  By time I get her in my arms and stand still it stops and is eerily quiet in the house.  

I stay in the same spot and do a 360.  Madison is whimpering a little.  Well, it's lunch time and well, she's hungry!  Everyone outside is doing exactly what they were doing, our neighbors pile in their van and take off.  Hmmm... did I imagine it?  

The smell of burning pulls me out of my daze and I set Madison down and run to the stovetop to flip our now very toasted quesadilla.  I salvage it and put Madison at the table to eat.  I hop on Facebook because if something happened it would be there right!?!?  Nothing.  Do I text my neighbors?  No. I'm sure... I'm crazy.

I decide to call Matt asking where he is.  He's on his way home and will be here in a min.  Do I tell him!?!?  Sure...  'So something really weird just happened.... I'm not sure if I'm crazy or not!...'  He walks in the door saying something had to have happened.  That's just bizarre.  Yeah, tell me about it!  I was rattled by it... not knowing what "it" was and how crazy I am, but Madison reacted too.  I check facebook again and boom... all over... I was right.  

We had a 4.2 magnitude EARTHQUAKE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment